Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"Donadoni praises Italian spirit"

Italy coach Roberto Donadoni praised the spirit of his side after they beat France 2-0 to reach the quarterfinals of Euro 2008.

Donadoni qualified part of the last eight as group winners Romania lost to 'Holland, Italy and Spain now play in the quarterfinals on June 22.

"This was a great response from the whole team," said Donadoni.

"Our enthusiasm and spirit pushes us forward, even when all seems lost at any given time."

Andrea Pirlo put Italy ahead of the penalty spot after Eric Abidal was fired on by a lack Luca Toni.

Daniele de Rossi's deflected free-kick in front of Thierry Henry ensured a comfortable victory for the side Donadoni.

"Yesterday I said that it was hair on my pillow. Now I am waiting for my hair will grow back a little," the 44-year-old told a press conference.

"This is a good performance. Perhaps best were playing 11 against 11.

Even as a footballer that was used to achieve things through hard work and sweat. I can not do more than what they have to rely on the boys.

"When we went 1-0 up was a little more tension than I expected but it is only human. In those moments as a coach who wants to go into the field and help. I can not do it now, because if I run 40 meters I get a tear in my thigh. "

"After that, a little fear and nerves were in"

Romania could have both dumping Italy and France out of the tournament if they had beaten Holland Donadoni at the side managed by former Milan team-mate Marco van Basten.

Netherlands won 2-0, but the concerns have been raised about their levels of motivation, who have already qualified for the knockout stages.

But Donadoni said: "I had no doubt. I know Van Basten.

"I know what he has done. When asked me to call him, seems pointless, and disrespectful to him.

"It's ridiculous to even have doubts. It is one of the worst things you can even think. If you have ambitions and love football, you can not even think about these things. Therefore, it is good that Holland played well."

No comments: